Albert G. Marquis, founding partner of Marquis Aurbach Coffing, has been practicing law in Las Vegas for over 40 years. He began his career as a trial lawyer, with some cases involving high-profile celebrities such as Redd Foxx and Martin Sheen. In 1983, he recovered $1.2 million against Aetna Casualty, including, the highest emotional distress damage award in Nevada history. Over the years, he has been responsible for several precedent-setting cases in the Nevada Supreme Court. Mr. Marquis is rated “AV” by Martindale-Hubbell‒the highest rating possible. He is listed in The Best Lawyers of America® (Real Estate Law); Desert Companion Top Lawyer (Litigation); and Mountain States Super Lawyers since 2007. Mr. Marquis has written hundreds of articles for legal periodicals as well as two poetry books: Frivolous Cowboy Poetry and Bucked Bruised & Blackballed. Recently he co-authored Running Past Midnight with ultra-runner Molly Sheridan.
Al now acts as a business consultant for his clients. His overriding objective is “lawsuit avoidance.” He also spends considerable time assisting business owners in establishing an “exit strategy.”
Over the years Al’s interests have included flying, boating, scuba diving, horseback riding, and race car driving. These days, when not practicing law, you can usually find Al at Kingston Ranch in Sandy Valley (www.kingstonranch.com). On request, you can sit back and enjoy a little self-deprecating cowboy poetry, where he will delve into subjects such as watching horses mate, drinking whiskey at eight, and bringing a horse into the house.
Al’s best friend is his white lab, Charlie. Charlie is a service dog who works with kids at the Nevada Childhood Cancer Foundation. In 2013, Al and Charlie were honored with the Foundation’s Community Angel Award. Thereafter Al became a NCCF Director, and Charlie was designated as the Foundation’s official mascot. To meet Charlie, attend the annual NCCF Gala at the Bellagio the Saturday before Thanksgiving. For more information, go to www.nvccf.org.
- Asset Protection
- Bacher v. State Engineer, 122 Nev. Adv. Op. No. 95, 146 P.3d 793 (2006)
- Smith's Food King No. 1 v. Hornwood, 108 Nev. 666, 836 P.2d 1241 (1992)
- University of Washington B.S. with distinction in Physics, 1972
- University of Washington J.D., 1975
- Nevada, 1975
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court, 1979
- Nevada Justice Association Member, Board of Governors, 1984-1991
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- State Bar of Nevada
- Clark County Bar Association
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018 (Real Estate Law)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2007-2017
- MYVEGAS Magazine Top 100 Lawyers in Las Vegas, 2015
- Desert Companion Top Lawyer (Litigation), 2014
- Nevada Childhood Cancer Foundation Community Angel Award 2013
- Desert Companion Top Lawyers (Real Estate), 2012
- Editor, Nevada Trial Lawyers Advocate, 1986-1992
- Comments Editor, University of Washington Law Review, 1974-1975