As the Chair of the firm’s Appellate Department, Mr. Echols focuses his practice on civil appeals, including state and federal appeals, writ petitions and petitions for judicial review of agency decisions. Since joining Marquis Aurbach Coffing, Mr. Echols has participated in the briefing or argument for over 175 appellate matters. He has argued cases in both the Nevada Supreme Court and the Ninth Circuit. Clients and other attorneys often consult Mr. Echols for his knowledge of appellate procedure and preserving issues in the District Court for appeal. His appellate successes include reversals of jury verdicts, reversals of non-jury trials, obtaining extraordinary writ relief and obtaining appellate decisions upholding favorable rulings for his clients. Mr. Echols holds an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is also recognized by Super Lawyers for his appellate practice.
Mr. Echols has published approximately 40 articles on appellate topics and recent developments in the law. His publications include the Civil Appeal Checklist with Forms, which is a comprehensive checklist for processing an appeal to the Supreme Court of Nevada. The most recent version of the checklist incorporates the amendments that the Supreme Court has made to the Nevada Rules of Appellate Procedure. He has also authored chapters for the updated Nevada Appellate Practice Manual published by the State Bar of Nevada. Mr. Echols also frequently publishes legal articles that have appeared in Nevada Lawyer, a publication of the State Bar of Nevada; Communiqué, a publication of the Clark County Bar Association; Advocate, a publication of the Nevada Justice Association; CCIM Perspective, a publication of the Southern Nevada Chapter of Certified Commercial Investment Members; and the Las Vegas Business Press.
Aside from his proficiency in appellate courts, Mr. Echols also regularly handles matters in trial courts. In fact, VEGAS INC has recognized him in 2012 as a Top Lawyer in Southern Nevada for lawsuits/disputes. Additionally, Mr. Echols earned the designation “NITA Advocate” in 2009 from the National Institute for Trial Advocacy for trial, deposition and communication skills. More recently, Mr. Echols was recognized by Desert Companion in 2014 as a Top Lawyer for Appeals.
Prior to joining Marquis Aurbach Coffing, Mr. Echols was the law clerk to the Honorable Sally A. Loehrer, District Court Judge, in Las Vegas. Mr. Echols has lived in Alaska, Iowa and Utah before moving to Las Vegas. In his free time, Mr. Echols enjoys watching or attending Major League Baseball games with his wife and children.
- Civil Rights
- Eminent Domain
- Personal Injury/Insurance Defense
- Real Property
- J.D., J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, 2003
- B.A. in Spanish with emphasis in linguistics and grammar,
- Brigham Young University, 1999
- Nevada, 2003
- United States District Court, District of Nevada, 2003
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2007
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2007
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2013
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2016
- State Bar of Nevada
- Clark County Bar Association
- Nevada Justice Association
- Mountain States Super Lawyers 2014-2016
- Desert Companion Top Lawyer (Appeals), 2014
- 2013 Super Lawyers, Rising Star (Appellate)
- 2009 “NITA Advocate” designation for trial, deposition and communication skills
- 2003 State Bar of Texas First Place Entry: Computer Technology Section Writing Competition